Monday, July 14, 2008

Genesis 1:1

There is a starting point for any fan's hatred towards another sports team. It
could be a traditional team rivalry, an unlikeable player, hate passed on from
father to son or for the simple reason that you're just tired of seeing that
"no good"team win. Pure hatred, however,is best cultivated under the following
condition: a high degree of respect for a team followed by a monumental "let
down"....a team losing the moral fiber you thought it formally possessed.

After the Chargers were knocked out of the playoffs in January 2007 I
e-mailed the following rant to as many people as I could. This is GENESIS 1:1

1/16/07
To whom it may concern:

For the past five years I have fully supported the New England Patriots and
the success they have earned during that course of time. When the ignorant
masses spoke ill of the Patriots, I was quick to remind them that the
Patriots were everything that was good about professional football: the rare
case where individual achievement was subjugated for the advancement of the
"TEAM". This ideal of "team" has yielded three Superbowl championships and I
have enjoyed supporting the high ideal that the Patriots stood for.

After watching the Chargers/Patriots playoff game on Sunday I must say
that
I am withdrawing my west-coast support and marking that franchise for
death!


Indeed, death is a strong statement so I would be remiss if I did not make
a
few clarifications:

1. The Chargers were the more talented team.
2. The Patriots were the more level headed team.
3. The Patriots deserved to win--undoubtedly!
4. The biggest "hand" in the Patriot Victory was Troy Brown (literally and
figuratively) and I can at least take solace in knowing that the ultimate
"team" guy made such a critical play to win the game.
5. The Patriots acted like it was their first time ever winning a big game
and acted like clowns in our back yard.

The Chargers are currently in possession of the classiest player in the
NFL--LaDainian Tomlinson. Not only is he the classiest---he's the best! I
support L.T. and his disapproval of the Patriot Franchise. I can clearly
see
that the very ethos that propelled the Patriots to 3 championships is
DEAD.
This was more than evident when they chose to dance like clowns in the
center of Jack Murphy Field and stomp on our lightning bolt and then proceed
to
disrespect our players. Until that moment the Patriots had always "acted
like
they had been there before."

Next week, join me in cheering FOR the Patriots so they can ultimately be
stomped by the Bears (like Superbowl XX) or the Saints (Yea Brees!). West
coast support has officially been withdrawn for your elitist franchise and
you now draw the full wrath of my being (For those who know me---think New
York Yankees).

In addition to stating my position on that deplorable franchise I would
like
to rally the faithful to Join me in Foxboro, Massachusetts next season
so
that we can bear witness to the San Diego Chargers avenging this---this
winter of our discontent. As of right now, a date has not been set, but we
are definitely playing in Mass. next season. Join me, where we will drink
far too much, yet maintain our dignity and represent San Diego well.

In addition to renouncing my support for the Patriots I am also terminating
my membership in Red Sox Nation. I now hate the Red Sox on par with the New
York Yankees (let's be honest and call a spade a spade...If the Yankees are
the "Evil Empire" the Red Sox are really only a couple of steps behind....
the Red Sox are "Mini-Me" to the Yanks "Dr. Evil".

I hope my position has been clarified on the things I hate most in the
WORLD:

1. New England Patriots
2. New York Yankees
3. Boston Red Sox
4. Terrorism
5. People who don't return their grocery shopping carts to their proper
areas

Numbers four and five are a little off topic but I feel it necessary to
finish lists in a top five format.

Please respond and join my cause. Direct the negative energy in your lives
to the classless organization in the New England region of our fine country.
Join me there next fall and don your powder blue!!!!!

Sincerely


Enormously disgruntled Charger and Padre fan---cultivator of Patriot hatred.

No comments: