Sunday, September 28, 2008

Signs, Signs, Everywhere The Signs

Outside of the occasional wedding attended, this Avenger, has spent very little time in a church over the last fifteen years. I cannot speak for the others, but I am not particularly religious. Including this morning I have attended mass, precisely two times, in the previous time frame mentioned. In visiting a sanctuary, where at least everyone else believes in higher powers than self to be at work, it becomes a necessity to wonder and question whether or not there are omens involved in this life. Whether or not my experience this morning at "Baby Avenger #2's" baptism was a sign, of sorts? A sign intended to ward off the EVIL that is....the Oakland Raiders?

Through the Sacrament of Baptism we are initiated into Christ's holy church. We are incorporated into God's mighty acts of salvation and given new birth through water and the spirit. All this is God's gift, offered to us without price.

In looking for signs we are brought to the symbol of water. It is the ultimate representation of life but also of renewal. There is a "born again" feeling of paddling out into the sea, nature's biggest wonder, just as there is a new sense of life after fasting and then drinking a tall glass of water. There is rejuvenation in acts such as those.

Bruce Lee advised: "Be like water! If you put water in a cup it becomes the cup. If you put water in a glass it becomes the glass. Water can flow and water can crash....Be like water my friend!" It is our life source no matter its state.

As it pertains to religion, a baptism is a rebirth into God's house, an initiation. No doubt, a powerful thing to witness, even if unsure of our place in this life and the sometimes horrible things we witness in the name of the world's various religions. Sorry........there were signs I was speaking of....

Why be looking for signs? I spoke of the other visit to church my family has made in the last fifteen years and it too was for a Baptism, for "Baby Avenger #1". The date of that covenant was January 14th, 2007. Does that date ring a bell?

That was the day the New England Patriot hatred was born. Into our house they came for a Divisional Playoff game and ended our season of high hopes. I have wrote about how the Ethos of that organization died that day when they behaved as though they had never won a big game in their lives. There are those who say, "Boo-Hoo, LT! Cry Baby!", but for me, I'm with LT. The Patriots, in my eyes, died that day, and the seeds of HATETHEPATRIOTS were sown.

I vividly recall Reverend Jim mentioning the Chargers at the end of his sermon, asking for victory and a good game on January 14th, 2007. And today? Well there was no mention of football at all and I realized that the omen had been found. Asking God for help in a football game is about as frivolous as it comes. Pray for safety but no more....God has other things on his plate.

I would say that the season of renewal began last Monday night and today--September 28th--In the 2008th year of our lord----it shall continue. I will take some water, not in the name of God, but in the name of life and all other pieces of symbolism that water represents and I will douse my San Diego Chargers hat...... for the sign appeared to me at 11:00 am. In not asking assistance from the heavens, like we did against the Patriots, we shall be victorious in Oakland today.

Be like water...my friends.


1 comment:

AvengingJM said...

That's Touch Down Jesus BTW...GO IRISH!