Thursday, April 23, 2009

Conjure up the 1999 Draft? Let's not, Charger Fans

Remember the 1999 NFL Draft? Donovan McNabb booed mercilessly by an unrelenting Philadelphia Eagle fan base. That 1st round pick worked out all right, didn't it?



Because I don't get the opportunity to watch college football I can't speak with too much authority on players that will be picked early on Saturday.....my draft expertise is a derivative of the alleged "experts". The only times I've paid real close attention to the draft was '98, '01 and '04....

We know how 1998 turned out.....



Back in 2001 as I read the papers leading up to the draft there was one Mantra I preached: "Trade out of the #1 slot! DO NOT pick Michael Vick!" That worked.



The Elisha Manning Incident of '04.......so we got Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding: All Good!


Which brings us to April 25th, 2009.......with talk of the proverbial "window of opportunity" closing the Chargers have a grip of holes that need filling: OL, DL, MLB, SS. Could a Superbowl even be won without shoring up the Line on each side of the ball? So who do we continue to hear about from the "experts", as likely selections with the 16th pick?......RBs, Beanie Wells and Knowshon Moreno. If AJ Smith opts for one of these tail-backs then:

I
Will
Booooooooooooooooooo
My Father's
Brand New
"72 Television


....as though it were a 3-Dimensional representation of human life! I will boo like a a little cry baby toolbox! I will do my best impersonation of Eagle Fan c.1999 and scream bloody murder at Roger Goodell and any RUNNING BACK WHO SHAKES HIS HAND on that God Forsaken stage!

I don't know who the answer is except who it is not. We restructured LT's contract and franchised Darren Sproles and 1st round money to a RB spells DOOM in 2009. Don't do it AJ!
  • If they take Rey Maualuga.... I'll clap my hands together hard two times.
  • If AJ trades down in the 1st to acquire a 2nd round pick I'll pump my fist once and in a moderately enthusiastic timbre, articulate "Yes!!".
  • If it's Moreno or Wells then Dad and guests get "Ridiculous Eagle Fan" impersonation......of course I could change my tune.....10 tears later.
Ahhh....what do I know, anyways?

Who (or which position) is going to make you scold the TV?

No comments: