Tuesday, April 14, 2009

One Last Observation on Citi Field

My final rumination on the opening of Citi Field. The first three things I caught prior to the start of Monday afternoon's game, in quick rapid fire succession, were: Mike Piazza, Donald Trump's wife, and Mayor Bloomberg.

Read Caption Like A Robot, Please
I...am...ridiculously...good....looking...and.... love....comb....overs....

Now I saw Bloomberg catch a foul ball behind the plate and magnanimously pass it off to a nearby youth commoner (although if the kid was sitting in those seats on Opening Night his parents probably could have coughed up more than enough dough to secure for him an audience with David Wright directly after he had hit his game tying 3-run bomb.....social commentary digression, my apologies) but throughout the game I kept going back to Piazza.....and how he just looked.... creepy. Was he wearing make-up? Was he wearing more than Trump's wife?


Hey I like Piazza--he had a good season with us (or was it 2?). I also happened to be at the game where he hit some HR of importance (300th maybe?). I'm just saying that he had an odd sheen to his forehead and face and had it not been for the jolt of Gerut's HR I may have given it even more thought (no I'm not gay like Mike Piazza might be).

So it goes: while Tom Seaver was pitching and Mike Piazza was catching (certainly no pun intended) a woman on the other side of the country prepared to Dance with the Stars....



For one proud Met fan's reaction to Citi's opening.....
Opening night at Citi pretty much par for the course
[The Legend of Cecilio Guante]

2 comments:

Jonathan Quayle Higgins III said...

what are your thoughts on the Padres unis? I'm not sure how i feel yet... I am a fan of uniforms being different from one another. Tonight, the all khaki looked ok. The blue shirts and khaki pants on opening night might be questionable however..

anyway - good call on Piazza's possible botox

AvengingJM said...

Hmmm, Padres unis? This is a tough one.

When we went to blue and orange back in the early '90s and got away from the brown and orange it was a welcome relief. Finally I could wear a nice looking blue cap that could match rather than conflict...I hope that doesn't sound like a Mike Piazza "metro-sexual" uniform evaluation.

Moving on to the most recent in an extremely long line of uniform changes by a franchise with an identity crisis: The khaki is actually called "sand".....it sounds kind of stupid but hey, we live by the beach and they're probably better than road grays. I actually don't mind the Blue top, Sand bottoms...it's an alright switch.

Our home whites suck but the home Sunday camouflage is a cool homage to being in a military town. Our Logo with the wave also sucks.

Having said all that.....Friars wear brown robes and it would make sense to get back to our roots as I've never seen a Franciscan Friar decked out in blue. I think I actually have more pre-1985 garb at this point.

So: Sand unis are ok and you're probably more accurate about Piazza's appearance....I would say it was a little more botox than make-up.

Series tied at 1-1. Peavy should do well pitching in the Grand Canyon East tomorrow...good luck.