Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Secondary Issues Are Plentiful

I had a friend in college. A good friend to this day. An upstanding citizen (British) this friend of mine. However, he was known to piss himself when he became inebriated. Once, he even opened up his special lady friend's underwear drawer whilst she was on holiday...and pissed in it. An upstanding citizen this friend. Oh, yes.....he also has a proclivity for shitting the bed whilst drunk.

Pictured at right is third year corner Cletis Gordon out of Jackson State, Alma mater to Walter Payton. I don't know how Cletis behaves when drinking but I do know this......on Sunday January 11th, 2009, Cletis Gordon "SHIT THE BED". Every time something bad happened, Cletis Gordon was at the center of the mess. Pass completion after pass completion...there's #24. Big pick-up coupled with a 15 yard un-sportsman like conduct penalty...again #24.

It wasn't the literal Bed Shitting I had heard about from my buddy's college days but the figurative type...the type we have become all too accustomed to this season by our Defensive Backs.

C'mon did you see what I did to Jeff Garcia's face?

After Quentin Jammer brought the wood against Hines Ward on this little incompletion I don't think I saw #23 again.....all I saw was the "bed shitter". Jammer leaves with injury and in enters a disgusting mess. Now, I think that the Steelers were the better team so don't mistake this as an effort to assign the loss to #24-Shitter of Beds---but he sure didn't help our cause. How does a guy get an opportunity like that in a playoff game and then proceed to follow up his constant burns with a 15 yard penalty? I bring this up because the time has come to assess who we are and begin to make the necessary changes. If a guy has limited skills and a .10 cent head, roster spots need to start opening up.


"It'll be warmer this way, trust me!"..... Our DBs in a Nutshell.

Nice train! In addition to looking like our DBs are sodomizing Big Ben they are failing horribly at what EVERY FOOTBALL PLAYER IN THE NFL should be able to do: tackle! Roethlisberger's a big fella but this is ridiculous and encapsulates the essence of our defensive backs. Does anyone remember the NFL Films segment on the little corner from the Redskins named Pat Fisher? He was like 5'9" and he would battle twice a year against 6'8" Harold Carmichael of the Eagles....fella was 5' NOTHING and he would kill guys in the tackle! This must improve.


Cromartie: "Hey Cletis! Stretch it out good. I've shit the bed in every game this year except against Brett Favre in week 3. I'll show you how to STB like Primetime!
Gordon: "If only I get the chance....STB...STB...STB..."

Cromartie was a net loss this year in every way. We have come to find out that he played the season with a fractured hip so perhaps he gets a pass and we reevaluate next year. We knew there had to be an injury but they covered it up pretty well....although every QB in the league DID attack AC every game so I guess they were savvy.

Where to begin? Well we've just begun and our Secondary has issues. What now is the resolution?

Discuss...

No comments: